Happy December!! This tumultuous year is coming to a close, thank God. I am sure we are all relieved to see 2021 behind us due to the ongoing pandemic. Everyone has been impacted in one way or another.
I am so pleased to see so many familiar clients both at Susan Naturally Day Spa and also the online orders from past customers over the years with the restrictions finally being lifted socially. I started my company in 1983 with $300 to my name and still have some of the same customers. This makes me very happy, honored, and proud. Well, the holidays are upon us and this can create stress in our lives as well as being a great sense of joy and happiness.
Here are some tips to get you through the holiday season with the most radiant skin:
1. Wash your face twice a day using Cleansing Milk at night (use a warm, damp washcloth to remove it) and the Algae Deep Cleanse in the morning. You can follow with the Bamboo Ginger Scrub OR the Pore Minimizing Cleanser at least 3 times a week either at night or in the morning. Make sure you are always washing your nose as well. This can help prevent blackhead accumulation. As a rule, wash with warm water and rinse with cool water. It is important to use a clean face cloth to dry your face so you are not contaminating your skin with bacteria from a dirty towel.
2. To help prevent premature aging or to help you look years younger, it is great to use one of my essential oil blends for your skin type. Follow with a few drops of Marine Lotion and a good spritzing of the Seawater before you apply one of my moisturizers and Eye and Wrinkle Cream. It takes a few minutes for this layered approach to skincare to be fully absorbed into your skin. It is worth it though because this is what keeps fine lines and wrinkles at bay.
3. Once a week use either the Sea Clay Mask or the Pore Minimizing Mask for normal to oily skin, and the Hydrating Gel Mask if you are dry or have more mature skin. Always apply the mask to clean skin. Leave it on for at least 15 minutes. Remove with a warm damp washcloth. Then rinse well with cool water before applying the rest of your skincare routine.
4. Diet and exercise are important for your health, wellness, and anti-aging as well. Red meat, processed foods, eating quickly without properly chewing your food, and eating after 8:00 PM are some of the biggest culprits that rob us of our health. Red meat is OK for meat-eaters a few times a month, but make sure you chew it very well for proper digestion, absorption, and elimination. Red meat is very hard to digest.
If you have digestive issues, incorporating fresh or dried ginger into your daily diet can help stimulate your digestive enzymes and organs.
5. Getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night. This might mean you have to go to bed earlier. Putting yourself into a deep sleep state before hitting your pillow can help you fall asleep easier and stay asleep longer. I listen to meditation music on YouTube before I go to bed. It makes me so relaxed. I love the quality of my sleep as well as the vivid dreams I have had nightly ever since I started doing this. Your bedroom should be as dark as possible and as neat and orderly as possible as well. This creates peace. I encourage people to also take a warm bath nightly as well if time permits. Of course, if you are living in a drought-stricken area this is not possible.
Taking baths is so therapeutic for you. Because of this, for the month of December, I am offering my Algae Fine Powder, Toning Bath, and Calming Bath at 25% off. If you purchase Algae Fine Powder along with either the Toning Bath or Calming Bath, enjoy it at 25% off for the month of December. Just call the spa to place your order, 716-398-5250, OR use code: BATH.
Pumpkin is not just for eating. I take 1 tablespoon of canned organic pumpkin and add it to a bowl with 1 tablespoon of organic full-fat yogurt. Blend them together. Apply all over your clean skin and leave it on for 20 minutes. Remove with a warm damp washcloth and then rinse well with cool water. Pat dry and apply the rest of your skincare routine. This mask helps brighten your complexion and will make you look radiant afterward for several days.
I created a great soup with healthy ayurvedic herbs and spices that are so good for you from head to toe.
Orange Lentil Soup
This soup is great for inflammation and is loaded with antioxidants. It naturally stimulates your immune system.
3 cups of orange lentils, washed and strained
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion peeled and chopped
1 large carrot peeled and chopped
8 cups of either vegetable or chicken stock
1 can organic coconut milk
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of freshly grated garlic
1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
2 teaspoons of ground black pepper
2 tablespoons of powdered turmeric
juice and rind of organic lime
1 Bay leaf
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
juice and rind of organic lime
salt to taste
In a heavy bottom pot, add oil, onion, carrot, cumin, garlic, ginger, turmeric, pepper, coriander, Bay leaf, and saute for 5 minutes on medium heat. Stir frequently. Add lentils, stock, and coconut milk to the pot. Stir until combined. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender or regular blender in small batches. Right before serving, add lime juice, rind, and cilantro. If the soup is too thick, you can thin it out with more stock or water to get your desired consistency.
Have a safe, happy, and healthy holiday season with friends and family. See you next year!! I send you all my love and gratitude.