Find Calm Through Meditation
Meditation, Relaxation and Taking the stress out of your life
With what we are facing today, one of the best ways to relax and de-stress is through meditation. The great thing is anyone can do it! Spending a few minutes a day meditating can calm and restore your inner peace.
While meditating you can focus on all of those thoughts that are rumbling through your mind and take a deep breath and relax. Envision a place of serenity; this can put your mind into a state of deep relaxation. This will balance your mental and emotional state, creating the sense of well-being while clearing away all of the overload that contributes to the stress in your life.
What meditation can do:
Make you focus on yourself
Help you to manage stress
Reduce anxiety and negative emotions
Help us to be patient and tolerant of others
Develop and increase our imagination which in turn makes us more creative
Build your immune system
How to Meditate:
1. Sit or lie comfortably in a quiet setting.
2. Close your eyes.
3. Focus on your breath. Start your meditation by taking several deep breaths. Breathe naturally; don’t force it.
4. Follow your breath for two minutes. Take a deep inhale, expanding your belly, and then exhale slowly, elongating the out-breath as your belly contracts.
5. Do a body scan. Take a moment to focus on each part of your body and see how your body moves with every inhalation and exhalation.
6. Evaluate your energy - if you feel wired or stressed, just let your body sync with your breathing.
7. Focus on love and gratitude - feel grateful for who you are and those around you.
8. Choose a mantra, repeat a calming word. This will take your mind off of the chatter in your head.
9. Reflect on the day and release any negative thoughts.
10. Be open to what flows through your mind; don’t judge your thoughts.
11. Think about what you can do for others.
There are many types of practices that incorporate meditation, all helping you to create an inner peace. Here are some of the practices you can follow.
Guided Meditation / Visualization
By meditating every day you will start to feel your body calm down. You can increase this practice slowly and work up to 45 minutes a day. At the end of your yoga practice there is a calming period which is called shavasana, where the mind and body slow down and the mind lets go. This is the true feeling of relaxation.