SUMMER 2015 NEWSLETTER
Flowers are blooming, baskets of fresh fruits in season spilling over the stands at the farmers market, and the ubiquitous backyard barbeques are abound. It’s time once again we rejoice as we welcome the sizzling summer months that lie ahead. Pack those summer beach bags with all the necessary essentials to keep your skin healthy and hydrated, as you prepare to take on the blazing summer sun. Life is way too short, we all need to make the most of this season and stay active, your body and heart health depend on it. The happier you are, the healthier you become – so we may as well stay happy! I hope everyone has the most fabulous summer yet, surrounded by friends, family, love and happiness. Take some time this summer to treat yourself to something special. I hope you implement many of my suggestions from this newsletter into your daily life, but most of all I hope to expand your knowledge about health and wellness, beauty from within. Cheers to a happy, healthy, and fun filled summer!
SUSAN IN THE PRESS
Check out some recent features
|Harper’s Bazaar (AU)
|Harper’s Bazaar (UK)
|Daily Candid News
|Daily Candid News
|The Zoe Report
|The Daily Front Row
SUSAN CIMINELLI ON GOOP
(Gyneth Paltrow’s personal website)
I am so honored that my signature anti-aging faicals
were named as one of the top in New York and
LA on Goop, Gwyneth Paltrow’s gorgeous and inspiring site.
THE BEAUTY CLINIC & BEAUTYKIND
My staff and I are so grateful to be working with BeautyKind, an online based retailer allowing one to purchase brand favorites, and discover new ones while supporting the cause of their choice. I have chosen Charity Water; when my products are purchased, five percent of all earnings will be donated to this cause. Having clean water and sanitation is crucial for living a healthy lifestyle, and is something we often take for granted. It’s so important we take time in our lives to recognize how fortunate we are.
For information on this organization visit: http://www.charitywater.org/
For information on BeautyKind visit: https://beautykind.us
SUSAN CIMINELLI TO GO GREEN
Being an environmental advocate, I am thrilled to announce the Beauty Clinic’s future plans to go green. In an effort to conserve the environment, we soon plan to eliminate boxes for all of our products. Just one small change can have a big impact on the supply chain, and result in a decreased demand on our planet’s ecosystem. I am a strong believer in striving for change if it means improving the world we live in. It is so important that we all do what is needed to make this world a better place to live.
NEW AT SUSAN CIMINELLI
I am so excited to now be offering Hydradermabrasion Treatments at the Beauty Clinic. This is a non-invasive, gentle and pain free treatment designed for all types of skin. I’ve noticed a huge difference in my skin from using this; it has significantly improved some of my fine lines and brown age spots! I highly recommend it if are you looking to exfoliate and remove impurities.
For information on this treatment visit: http://www.susanciminelli.com/spa-facials.html
LUNCH HOUR SPECIAL
Also now offering our very own Lunch Hour Special at the Beauty Clinic! This new special includes a rejuvenating ½ hour facial with Hydradermabrasion Treatment and a Manicure. Visit us at the spa during your lunch hour for 60 minutes full of pampering and relaxation.
For information on this treatment visit: http://www.susanciminelli.com/
Make sure to be cautious this season of the sizzling summer sun!
Being exposed to the sun increases our risk of getting sun damage, dark spots, wrinkles, and skin cancers such as melanoma. It’s so important that we be cautious of this. See what I recommend doing to decrease your chances of getting any type of skin disease, or experiencing painful sunburn.
• Avoid unprotected exposure between 10 AM & 4 PM – This time period is proven to be when the sun’s rays are the strongest. It is important to limit the length of time you spend in the sun. When in the sun sunscreen is a must! Always use SPF 30 or higher, and reapply every 2 hours – no matter what SPF #. Please be careful, & take all the necessary precautions to prevent skin cancer and premature aging! (I don’t use SPF in my moisturizers or makeup, as it gives people a false sense of security, thinking it does not need to be reapplied every two hours – it does! )
• Cover Up – Try to wear tightly woven clothes over the arms and legs. Certain clothes are made specially to provide extra sun protection. You can find this on the label, Ultra Protection Factor (UPF), indicated by a number, this tells how effective the fabric is at blocking out harmful sunlight. The higher the number, the more protective. Dark colors often provide more protection than do light. A hat and shades should always be worn outside. I always make sure to have a big hat and sunglasses when I leave for the day. Choose sunglasses with a high UV protection – this can be found on the label.
SUSAN’S SUMMER FAVORITES
Try out some of my summer must haves! Each of these products will help to hydrate and soothe your skin, while also improving the overall appearance of it.
||POWER C MOISTURIZER
||HYDRATING GEL MASK
||ALGAE FINE POWDER
BEACH BAG ESSENTIALS
Before stepping out for a long relaxing beach day, make sure you’re bringing along all the essentials you’ll need for that day! Check out below what I recommend bringing to keep the body and skin hydrated for a fun filled day at the beach!
• Water bottle – Drinking water is crucial for our heart health. We need to keep our bodies hydrated, to allow our heart to pump blood via the blood vessels to the muscles, allowing the muscles to work efficiently. Water is the best thing to drink to stay hydrated.
* Make sure you drink your water from a glass water bottle! Plastic water bottles contain Bisphenol (BPA) a chemical proven to be very harmful to our health.
• Seawater (Travel Size) – Seawater will hydrate and naturally balance your skin. It is great for preventing ingrown hairs from waxing too often, which is often the cause of them. I highly recommend waiting 4 weeks in between waxings, and using Jolen Creme Bleach (over the counter drug-store item) to turn it blonde and almost invisible. Hair can also be permanently removed with our state of the art laser treatments here at the Beauty Clinic.
• Marine Lotion (Travel Size) – You should apply marine lotion to skin for additional hydration. This serum can be combined with SPF 30 (see below) to help prevent fine lines, as well as reduce cellulite and wrinkles. I’ve had numerous clients tell me how effective it’s been for their painful sunburn. The natural ingredients that make up the serum will nourish your skin and quickly relieve redness.
• SPF 30 –SPF 30 is very rich in antioxidants, and will deeply hydrate and nourish your skin while also providing you with full sun protection. This moisturizer is every bit as effective as the other regular moisturizers, and is necessary when spending time outdoors.
* Make sure you are taking Vitamin D Supplements in addition to wearing sunblock! Wearing sunblock can block ultraviolet radiation, which is the stuff that helps you to make Vitamin D, so it’s important to make sure you are getting enough.
SUMMER NIGHT MUST HAVES
Going out for a night full of fun? Extreme Shine Lip Gloss is a must have! You will fall in love with this gloss, and there are a variety of wonderful colors to choose from. I have chosen three of my summer favorites to help the decision making process that much easier for you! My favorite summer colors include: Shell, Parfait and Kiss Me. I love to wear these colors during the day too; it’s great to add some shine to your lips to top off any cute outfit. (Pictured above, from left to right)
Some Very Berry Antioxidant Serum is also an essential for a night out of looking and feeling your best! A drop of this vitamin and antioxidant rich high powered fruit formula can be added to your moisturizer to achieve that gorgeous sun kissed look.
TIPS FOR SUMMER DIETING - CLEANSING THE BODY
Summer diets are often more acidic, since people tend to drink more alcohol, eat ice cream, etc. It is crucial to eat foods that help to cleanse your liver, as the liver is one of the primary organs of detoxification. There are many foods that will help to cleanse the body: fruits and vegetables, mushrooms, rosemary, fresh herbs, beets, sweet potatoes and garlic are a few great food choices. Adzuki Bean Soup is also a great food to assist with cleansing your system; it will help to clean out the kidney while also reducing water retention. One of my favorite recipes is my very own homemade recipe of this soup which can be found in The Ciminelli Solution: A 7 Day Plan for Radiant Skin.
Along with cleansing the body and eating the correct foods, it’s important to start your day off right. You should try and do these things in the morning to improve your overall health. Remember your health comes first! You will notice a major difference in your skin as well by incorporating this into your morning routine.
• After brushing the teeth and scraping the tongue with a quality tongue scraper to rid it of film that is toxic, drink a large glass of warm water with lemon added to it. A pinch of cayenne pepper and a teaspoon of pure maple syrup can also be mixed in. This concoction will cleanse the internal digestive organs and prepare them for the day’s food intake. It will help to cleanse the blood. This daily drink can be alternated with plain lemon juice and water and/or apple cider vinegar and water. Just one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar should be added to 8 ounces of pure water.
• Drinking Kombucha tea daily replaces good bacteria in the gut, making it easier for waste to leave your colon and liver. Kombucha tea is rich in many different enzymes and bacterial acids which the body produces and uses to detox the system. This tea is also extremely rich in antioxidants, allowing for a boosted immune system and energy levels.
FROM SUSAN’S KITCHEN
Try out two of my favorite summer time recipes! Not only are they delicious, but they are also very nutritious!
GREEN APPLE REFRESHER
Susan’s Green Apple Refresher smoothie is extremely refreshing and perfect to have on a hot summer day. Juices can be wonderful cleansers for the digestive system. Whether you’re at the beach or in the comfort of your own home, this delicious smoothie will do wonders for the skin. This bright green drink is particularly helpful for individuals who experience breakout problems. It gently cleanses the system and helps to keep the pores clear of blemishes. This recipe below can be found in The Ciminelli Solution: A 7 Day Plan for Radiant Skin, along with many others. Serves 1
2 green apples, quartered
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
Juice from ½ lemon
¼ inch piece ginger
Juice all ingredients according to the manufacturer’s directions.
LEMON-ROSEMARY GRILLED SHRIMP
Susan’s delicious Lemon-Rosemary Grilled Shrimp is a nice light summertime entrée or appetizer which can be served at a dinner party or even a backyard barbeque. This shrimp can also be served over a salad. This recipe found below can also be found in The Ciminelli Solution: A 7 Day Plan for Radiant Skin. Serves 3 to 4
1 pound large shrimp, peeled deveined
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
Freshly ground white pepper
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, garlic, 1 tablespoon of rosemary, salt and pepper to taste, and half the lemon zest. Mix to coat.
Preheat a grill pan one minute on medium-high heat.
Place the shrimp in the pan and sear one minute on each side. Remove the shrimp from the heat and drizzle with the remaining olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle with remaining rosemary and remaining lemon zest. Serve immediately
SUMMER TIME YOGA
Get in shape while having fun too! Yoga is a great way to work out your muscles all over the body, and is also known to prevent diseases and help you recover from some of them. I love doing yoga to help me relax after a long day.
*It is important to find a few times a week to exercise. It is crucial to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It will help to lift your spirits and make you happier.
Below are a few of the many noteworthy health benefits that yoga can provide you with.
• Betters bone health – Weight bearing exercises are known to strengthen yours bones and ward off osteoporosis. Since many postures in yoga require you to lift your weight, the arm bones become stronger, decreasing the chances of osteoporosis.
• Increases blood flow – Especially the relaxation exercises learned in yoga will help with circulation particularly in the hands and feet. It allows the cells to get more oxygen and function better.
(If you often experience cramping in your legs, I highly suggest giving yoga a try.)
• Lowers blood sugar – Yoga is a great exercise to incorporate into your daily routine if you experience low blood sugar. Getting your blood sugar level down decreases complications that are associated with diabetes such as: kidney failure, heart attacks, and blindness.
• Keeps viruses and allergies on the defense – Cleansing practices are an element of yoga which includes everything from cleansing of the intestines to rapid breathing exercises. Jala neti (a yoga cleansing technique) involves cleansing the nasal passage with salt water, which removes pollen and viruses from the nose, prevents mucus from building up, and helps to drain the sinuses.
• Makes you happier! – Studies show that the constant yoga practice has improved depression, and increased serotonin levels.
Q & A
1. Q: How many times a week should I change my pillow cases and towels?
A: If you sweat a lot at night, it is important to change them every night! People sweat more then they realize and bacteria grows on your sheets, pillow cases and towels. It is best to be surrounded by cleanliness.
2. Q: If I have SPF in my foundation, is that sufficient?
A: No, definitely not! The amount of foundation that is typically applied to the face compared to the amount of sunscreen that should be applied is minimal. Foundation is also often not applied to the entire face, rather just certain spots. The amount of coverage you give yourself is key; you must make sure a generous amount of SPF is being applied all over the body.
3. Q: Along with drinking water, are there certain foods that I can eat this summer to help me stay hydrated?
A: Yes, there are many foods that have a high concentration of water which will help you stay hydrated in the summer heat. These foods include leafy greens, watermelon, berries, cucumbers, and more. Remember though it is still crucial to drink the recommended daily water in-take of eight 8-ounce glasses. Eating these hydrating foods though is certainly great for additional hydration!
4. Q: Is there a certain ingredient in some sunscreens which is exceptionally good for protecting the skin?
A: Japanese Green Tea Extract is particularly beneficial for the skin in a variety of ways, you should try and find a sunscreen with this ingredient if possible. Green Tea Extract helps to neutralize damage that can be done from exposure to UV rays. It also is great for helping to rejuvenate old skin cells, as well as control acne. Japanese Green Tea Extract can be found in my SPF 30.
Be sure to check out our site for some of the following summer deals.
• Receive 20% off Body Buff, Body Silk or Algae Fine Powder, and 30% off when you purchase all three.
• Spend over $500 and receive a complimentary Serenité Candle and Revitalizing Eye and Lip Mask.
• Receive 20% off your purchase of our Power C Moisturizer.
• Buy one SPF 30 and get the second one half off.
• Receive 20% off the purchase of our value package, Slimming Cellulite Quartet.